The City encourages special events for the greater good, cultural diversity, and the promotion of the City. Some gatherings and organized activities may place unique demands on public resources or pose a potential danger to public health, safety and welfare. In order to plan for these demands and ensure safety, it is necessary that the City receive advance notice of these events.
A Special Event Permit is a written authorization from the City to hold an event. This permit is necessary when an event involves one or more of the following activities:
- Closing a public street
- Blocking city owned property
- Sale of merchandise or food/beverages on city owned property
- Erecting a tent larger than 200 square feet on city owned property
- Installation of a stage , trailer or other portable buildings on city owned property
- Placement of portable toilets, temporary no-parking signs or pedestrian boundary markers on city owned property
About the Special Event Permit Application
A Special Event Permit Application must be completed at least 30 days before the event in order to assure time for city processing. A non-refundable application fee and the fees for city services are due with the filing of the final permit application. This application secures the time of the event as well as the site on the special event calendar.
Examples of special events requiring permits include, but are not limited to:
- bike races
- fireworks displays
- carnivals and other types of festivals that use city owned property or rights of way
Examples of events that DO NOT require Special Events Permits include:
- fund raisers, and other events held on private property
Other ordinances, such as regulations for noise, debris, parking and others, must be observed.